Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cape Town

So I am alive, sorry, I've been without internet here in Cape Town where I'm in love with South Africa everyday. I went to an amazing event held my an organization called Sparkling Women here and I'm trying to see if any poets from that or affiliated with that organization will be interested in being a part of my project. I don't know how but I've transcribed all 7 Joburg interviews over the course of my time here. I look forward to interviewing the founder of She Speaks at the very least while I'm here and having a phone interview with another Cape Town poet who is unfortunately out of town because of a family emergency. I'm hoping I can at least make it to 10 participants. On other notes, my housemates are amazing, I mowed my first lawn at the house yesterday on South Africa's Women's Day which I felt was very fitting-- Catherine and I had a blast doing that. I ate amazing Eastern Food at a bazaar in town and have attended two gay film nights, one for me and one for women, meeting many amazing people. I've also had a wonderful weekend this past weekend-- Cape Town is so gorgeous, I'm hoping my meeting with the Gender Studies professor who specializes in LGBT activism research reveals not just amazing information but job opportunities in the area as I'm trying to move here to live for sometime (maybe Ph. D after, not sure right now). I also am attending some more queer events this weekend and poetry slam on Monday so I'm doing all I can to uncover more poets, wish me luck and send me love!

Cristina

No comments:

Post a Comment