Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Leaving Joburg




I leave for Cape Town today and although I'm excited it is definitely bittersweet. I completed seven interviews in Joburg with seven amazing poets and the interview process was everything I wanted it to be and more. I'm glad to call these people my friends and I plan on doing whatever it takes to come back here to live and work for some years. I have a couple interviews for Joburg that unfortunately will have to be through phone or via email since schedules were hectic but I am so grateful to have had the response I've had and more people than I expected wanting to be a part of what I'm doing. I have at least two people to interview in Cape Town and I'm hoping like Joburg I uncover more, I'm looking forward to experiencing Cape Town in a new way but Joburg has been so intense and special for me. I'm going to miss my South African parents whose love and support made me feel I had family here, I'm going to miss my amazing friends and activists as Wits who I had a blast with at the forum, I'm going to miss my She Speaks collective--the way they moved and inspired me with their poetry, their passion for it and for each other and their hopes for change, I'm definitely going to miss the Fox street in Arts and Main, my little Bohemia while I was here and all that came with it.





Bye for now Joburg, I'll miss you,

Cristina

No comments:

Post a Comment