I'm here in South Africa, after two very long flights, some delays and total time zone confusion. Right now I'm safely in Cathy's home in Pretoria and she couldn't be a more warm and welcoming host, I absolutely adore her! It was strange to be on a flight that long by myself but I slept most of the second leg after Dakar. I was thankful just to have been on the flight considering that we ended up on a different plane than we were supposed to (smaller and no TVs) so some people got kicked off the flight and won't leave Dulles until next week (thank the Lorde that wasn't me). I can't wait to see the daylight despite feeling tired. I just know daylight will make it more real although riding with Johann to Cathy's place on the wrong side of the road sitting in what would've been the driver seat at home should have made it more real for me.
I can't wait to see my friends again and be with them, to hear all about what they have been doing. Most importantly I am so excited to begin my project, researching up a storm, writing and most importantly meeting the poets, reading their work, conducting interviews with them etc. It is a little cold here but just like San Diego winter so it isn't too bad (Cathy and Johann disagree). I still am so overwhelmed with appreciation for this even happening, all of the support and help, how gracious people are and have been is just so moving and humbling.
As you can probably tell I'm pretty tired-- Cathy and I spent a lot of time talking about teaching, my students and their amazing projects (yes I talk about you all--ALL OF THE TIME and brag on you), and the work I'm getting ready to do as well as my plans for the future. We also talked about television shows, Internet dating, and all of that other good-personal-fun-stuff that comes up along the way (that's why I love Women's Studies). Well, I am sure I will have much more to tell you all as the trip goes on. Thanks to those of you who have already sent your love and support via Facebook, email, etc, it means a lot, I will do my best to make you all proud!
Goodnight :)
Cristina
No comments:
Post a Comment